The Construction Training Centre (CTC) is located on a 12 hectare site in the Brisbane suburb of Salisbury. We have a range of purpose built construction training facilities available for lease and also short term hire. We have a total of 11 buildings where a range of training and commercial activities take place. The site is structured around a busy administration precinct, creating a campus-style hub of activity.
Centrally located in the administration hub of the precinct is the CTC Café (yellow circle). The Café currently offers a wide range of hot and cold food and drinks and is very popular among our tenants and their students. The CTC Café also provides a catering service for meetings, training courses, conferences and other corporate events.
Due to a change in circumstances, CTC management is seeking expressions of interest (EOI) from potential new operators for the Café. The successful applicants will be expected to show an affinity for and committed support of the CTC philosophy “Healthy Minds, Healthy Bodies”. This philosophy includes providing healthy food that is of a high standard and priced competitively.
EOI’s should address the selection criteria in Section 7.
2. Contact person/s
Mob: 0408 305 066
Mob: 0423 282 542
3. CTC Philosophy
The Board and management of CTC operate the precinct as a service to the construction industry. This is done through the provision of facility leasing, both short and long term, primarily for the provision of construction skills training delivered by Registered Training Organisations.
A major part of CTC’s philosophy is to provide a facility that encourages the healthy development of both the mind and the body. For example, the facility boasts a fully equipped gym, a rest and reflection room and a private breast feeding room.
It is therefore important that any future operator of the Café do their bit to contribute to this philosophy. There are four core components to this:
1) A clear intention to provide healthy food. This would be demonstrated through the menu’s focus on healthy options and the look and feel of the café, particularly how the food is presented to customers. The encouragement of tenants and students to improve or maintain their health and wellbeing through healthy balanced nutrition at an affordable price
2) Fairness and Opportunity. Included in our philosophy is the fair treatment of workers and the ability for them to develop skills and realise their potential. Café staff must be direct employees of the Operator unless expressly agreed by CTC and there must be a commitment to upskilling and training. All obligations regarding employee entitlements must be paid in full and on time.
3) Safety and quality
Safe food practices must be paramount and the Operator must attain, maintain or improve on at least a 4 star rating from BCC. Quality will underpin the presentation of food and the attitude of the Café staff to their customers.
4) Reducing the environmental footprint
Where possible and practicable the Café will implement environmental initiatives that reduce food waste and packaging, recycle, reduce overall energy consumption, buy local where appropriate and participate in a surplus food social enterprise scheme.
The successful applicant will be provided with access to the following:
- A fully operational Café including some fixed appliances to operate as a commercial venture under a lease agreement. The café is located on the main road into and out of the precinct.
- Approximately 200 permanently located tenants and staff.
- In addition to this approximately 200 students on site per day.
- The ability to undertake in-house and external catering income streams from the facility.
- Sole rights to food and beverage provision (aside from some small localised vending machines) across the Precinct i.e. no competing café or food truck service (on a few occasions, industry groups or associations, superannuation funds may provide a BBQ/sausage sizzle).
- Precinct facilities and health initiatives including 24/7 gymnasium, flu shots, hearing and skin tests etc.
The successful operator will be required to meet the following expenses and/or conditions;
- A minimal base rental with a provision to scale up determined by increased traffic flow. Base rental is subject to negotiation with the successful applicant.
- LP Gas
- Waste trap cleaning
- Any equipment not already provided that is required to properly operate a food service Café. g., Commercial coffee machine.
- Compliance with all Acts Regulations and Bylaws appropriate to operating a Café including but not limited to,
- Employment of appropriately skilled and qualified staff
- A commitment to ongoing training of all Cafe staff
- Regulatory licensing
- Industrial relations
- Fire safety
- Maintaining a clean and healthy site both inside and in the immediate vicinity of the Café.
6. Equipment and incidentals
- Minimum operating hours are Monday to Friday (excl public holidays) 7.00am to 2.00pm. Operation outside these hours is at the Operators discretion subject to discussions with the CTC.
- Below is a full list of fixed appliances provided by CTC:
Williams refrigerated cabinet; Zeus heated display unit; Bromic floor mounted freezer unit – large; Waldorf deep fryer unit; Waldorf range unit with flat plate & 4 burner cooktop; commercial kitchen exhaust fan; Hot water system (new); Norris BT600 Commerical dishwasher (new); Stockpot S/Steel pots x 3. 8, 16, 20 ltr (new); Roband GSA810S contact Grill/toaster (new); Hamilton Beach BBT0650 tempest bar blender (new)
7. Selection Criteria
- At least 2 years’ operating a café or restaurant with no regulatory breaches
- Demonstrated experience in the provision of on and off-site catering, or the ability to provide catering
- Demonstrates an ongoing commitment to the provision of healthy food and beverage options
- Demonstrates a clear commitment to the CTC philosophy of Healthy Minds, Healthy Bodies, or similar philosophy
- Has no regulatory non-compliance matters outstanding either past, present or future including any industrial relations matters
The successful applicant will be provided with the opportunity to participate in and contribute to any future development or improvements made to the Café including any such improvements being considered prior to the successful applicant taking over operations.
9. Closing date
This EOI will close at 5.00pm on Friday 30th March 2018. EOI’s received after this date will not be considered.
All applications should be addressed and sent via email to:
Construction Training Centre